Logo

Milky gearcase oil in OMC

B

Bob Mcdonald

I'm looking for some reco

I'm looking for some recomendations for my next step. I have a 1977 190 OMC with a stringer drive.
I have about 1000hrs on engine/outdrive. It has been used in the salt but always flushed. I noticed that the gear oil in the upper case has been getting milky after about 10hrs use. I have never had any problem or had to work on this outdrive. Am I ready for a rebuild or should I just go for resealing? I would like to keep the boat going. Am I looking at new outdrive and engine soon with the hours I have on it?

" Bob,
I'd go for the

" Bob,
I'd go for the reseal. Might still be years before you need major work done. Hours on an engine, like miles on a car, are significant but only one criteria to go by.
Eddie "

" Bob, I've had two of the

" Bob, I've had two of these OMCs, both of them developed milky gear oil and a re-seal was all that was needed. As for a re-build, if it ain't broke don't fix it. What I did was keep the oil topped off and change it occasionally. When the unit is not operating the water settles in the bottom of the gearcase and sooner or later rust and corrosion sets in and will start to take it's tole on your outer case and gears.
Cal "

" Eddie Cal, Thanks for the in

" Eddie Cal, Thanks for the input. I will look into a reseal job. Where do these upper units typically develop the leak? Would it be around the ball drive shaft. I'm thinking perhaps a new ball gear(mine is about 1/3 worn) and impeller might be a good idea while I have the unit getting resealed. Does it make sense to replace these parts along with a reseal? "

" Depends on how long you inte

" Depends on how long you intend to keep the boat. The seal is the usual culpert, fish line getting wrapped around the shaft will tear it up. A new impeller is always a good move. 1/3 wear on the ball gear is not bad, there is still a lot of life in that. If it makes you feel uncomfortable change them out but you have to get a new pair not just one. If you do the takedown yourself be sure to mark the gears so they match tooth for tooth when you replace them. Over the years they develope a 'set' and if they are mismatched on assembly the unit will be ok but the wear will increase until a new 'set' is established. "

Back