Logo

85hp Evinrude what year

raybo

Contributing Member
" Evinrude-85hp, 1517cc, Firep

" Evinrude-85hp, 1517cc, Firepower ignition, Mod #85899C, Ser # J0003669. 4 cyl. 2 carbs. Anyone know the year of this outboard motor? It has been sitting up quite a while. Don't know if it's worth fixing or not. I pulled the cowling off and it doesn't look too bad under there. A little rust on the magnets. Steering is frozen up but the flywheel turns by hand. I know there's a lot of work to be done. The feedback I get here will probably make up my mind. Thanks for any suggestions "

"Ray.... You are the proud own

"Ray.... You are the proud owner of a 1978 85hp Evinrude. Remove the s/plugs and check the compression... should be 100+ psi and even on all cyls.

Rig up a spark tester and check the spark... should jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue lightning like flame.

Any engine that's been sitting for any length of time will require that the carburetors be rebuilt. The carbs will no doubt be fouled, gummed, clogged.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, If I decide to t

" Thanks Joe, If I decide to take on this challenge, I will let you know how it turns out.:>)........Ray "

Back