My 1985 80 horse force. pumps

My 1985 80 horse force. pumps water out at a idle
but not win i'am at a high speed. i just put a new
impeller in and there seems to be no obstructions
does this water exit some where else at high speeds

" Steve,

There is a by-pass

" Steve,

There is a by-pass valve on the exhaust side of the block. This is supposed to allow for more circulation at high speed when the water pressure should rise in the cooling system. If it is clogged (it usually is )the engine should everheat at high rpms.

Does the engine run hot at high speed?

Tony "

" Tony
No the engine does

" Tony
No the engine does not run hot. I have ran the boat on the lake to see if it would over heat(trying to over heat it). my heat sensor works but did not sound, and when I would stop the water exiting the motor was only luke warm. The pepole that I have talked to here say if my sensor is working and Iam not over heating, dont worry about how much water comes out at high rpms. That just doesnt sound right
THANKS "

" Steve,

Where is the water

" Steve,

Where is the water that you are talking about being discharged from?

If you are talking about a tell-tale stream, that should always show a steady stream.

If you are referring to the hole at the rear of the exhaust housing, that is different. This is an exhaust relief hole. It allows the exhaust and some water to be discharged when the exhaust tube is still filled with water. When you run at high rpms, the water is forced down through the exhaust system and out through the lower unit. After all the water is forced out, the exhaust and water exit through the lower unit, and you won't see much at the relief hole.

Tony "

I think it is the tell tale s

I think it is the tell tale stream on the motor leg its the two holes above the water line on the leg

" Steve,

Those holes are fo

" Steve,

Those holes are for exhaust relief. When you start the engine there is water in the exhaust, which is inside the leg. Until this water is forced out, there must be a way for exhaust to be discharged. Those holes are for this purpose. When the water has cleared out, the exhaust and most of the cooling water are discharged through the lower unit.

Tony "

Back