Logo

Electronic ignition conversion

tonyob

Advanced Contributor
Where can I buy electronic ign

Where can I buy electronic ignition conversion distributors for inboard engines at the cheapest prices?

Tony

" Depends on the motor. Many i

" Depends on the motor. Many inboard motors are marinized versions of what is generally a plain old ford, chevy, or dodge 4, 6, or 8 cylendar engine. If this is the case you could very well pick up all of the parts you would need to convert to electronic ignition at a regular auto parts store such as autozone, napa, discount auto, .... the list goes on and on. However you should keep in mind that the conversion requires more that just the distributor.

You will likely neeed an electronic ignition control module (the precursor to the computers that control auto systems today), a coil, the distributor/rotor/cap, and possibly a different set of wires.

Another consideration is that while electronic ignition offers a slight improvement in performance a typical failure in the system will render the engine dead. Unlike a point ignition where a set of points on their way out can still get you home, when electronic goes it goes without warning.

Unless you really want the little bit of extra umph, or you just have an aversion to point ignition, my own personal thought on the subject is that the point setup is a better route. That is just my own thought. I know there are a lot of folks that have used electronic for years with no problems, but if you go that way a set of spares is a good idea. "

" Tony, have a look here: pert

" Tony, have a look here: pertronix.com

I also agree with jonnyboys comments. Aldo "

"I've run a Pertronix unit

"I've run a Pertronix unit on my Marine Power 305K (Prestolite distributor) for over 4 years now without a problem. An excellent product - easy to install and simplifies tuning. I also carry a spare set of points and condenser in a sealed baggie as Johnyboy mentioned.

"

" If you have GM 350 block,get

" If you have GM 350 block,get a old HEI distributor from a junk yard. If you get the cap with it the coil is in the cap. you will need new spark plug cables. Pull the old one out and drop the new(used)one in,it has one wire that you hook up to the igition, the same one that came off of the distributor that you removed. "

Has anyone installed a Pertron

Has anyone installed a Pertronix ignitor (points substitute) in a Mercruiser 6 cyl. 165 hp? I put it in and cannot get the boat to run except when the positive wire from the Pert is run directly to battery. I am told I need to put in
a ballast resistor. Where?

Back