Logo

No spark at beginning of each boat season

H

Han

"Yamaha 9.9 four stroke, high

"Yamaha 9.9 four stroke, high thrust.

At start of boating season the engine turns over smartly, fuel supply is good but no spark. After tinkering with cable connectors, ignition switch and all electronics and fuses, the engine will start. This takes time, is frustating and still leaves without an answer, Why does it do this?? Engine is 10 years old and runs perfectly. Any one with the same problem? What causes this lack of spark at the start of each season?"

"Han, when a motor sits it is

"Han, when a motor sits it is prone to a number of problems. Including moisture affecting the ignition system.

Perhaps when you lay it up at the end of this season you should maybe first clean up/check your connections, spray all your wires etc with some ignition dry (a spray to remove moisture) and then give everything a good coat of fogging oil or WD40 or similar to keep the moisture out while it's sitting.

Of course, the rest of the winter prep should be done as well.

A properly prepared engine should start without incident in the spring. So take the extra 10 minutes in the fall and save yourself hours or days in the spring..."

"Thank you Graham for your adv

"Thank you Graham for your advice. Regardless this is good advice to follow at each lay-up.While going through the complete, agravating, process yesterday I learned a shocking truth. I had cleaned the plugs and 'grounded' the base of plug against the painted engine block. Like usual there was no spark accross the plug electrode, BUT, the other plug (attached to high tension cable) was very close to my leg. My leg received a good shock while the other plug showed no spark.
Assembled all and the engine started.Conclussion, if checking for spark be certain that plug is grounded against a portion of BARE engine block. I'm relieved and humbled. It was a fuel problem afterall. Thanks."

Back