Logo

1993 Evinrude 48 SPL problems

J

Josh Guffey

" my 1993 Evinrude 48spl has b

" my 1993 Evinrude 48spl has been acting up for a while, It's acts like it is running out of gas at 2500-3200 RPM's. It will idle and top out at full throttle but half throttle cuts in and out. Carbuerators have been rebuilt new powerpack new main coil have all been replaced with new parts. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. compression on both cylinders are perfect "

" Josh.... When you say "c

" Josh.... When you say "cuts in and out", is that a very sharp change over such as yanking one spark plug wire off, then later on slaming it back on (ignition problem), or is it a sort of slow up and down surging power loss type scenario (fuel problem)?

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" Joe, It is the last one, a s

" Joe, It is the last one, a surging power loss, but then acts like it catches back up. It has a new bulb and line tank screens are cleaned and valve is open on tank, carbuerators have been rebuilt and screws set. Do you think that the problem could be in the fuel pump.

Thanks for the help

Josh "

"Josh.... If the engine runs f

"Josh.... If the engine runs fine at idle, and it does obtain full throttle at any given moment for any reasonable length of time, you could safely assume that the carburetors are indeed clean and adjusted properly.

However, double check the linkage that connects one carburetor throttle linkage to the other carburetor. That linkage must be set so that both carburetor throttle plates are closed at the same time, and at full throttle are both perfectly horizontal within the carburetor throat.

If that linkage is slightly off whereas at idle the throttle butterflies are not synchronized (one shut, one slightly open), the engine will do strange things including the up and down rpm scenario.

To check the fuel pump, simply have someone constantly pump the fuel primer bulb, in effect acting as a manual fuel pump. If the problem ceases to be, the fuel pump could indeed be faulty.

I say that "it could be faulty" due to the fact that the same type problem could be caused by a fuel/air leakage point somewhere between the fuel pump and the fuel supply.... but in your case, I take it that you have already replaced the Fuel Bulb and Line Assy with both Fuel Connectors and that you have either replaced the fuel tank or cleaned it thoroughly. In which case, the only other item left is the fuel pump.

However, double check the fuel tank fitting if it is a portable tank to make sure that no portions of it are leaking/drawing air. Also double check both fuel connectors to make sure that they are seating properly (not leaking). Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe,

We have found o

" Joe,

We have found out a few different things that could be wrong, at 2600 RPM's water is shooting through the block, we are not sure if the block is cracked or not, but were are going to replace two seals, one in the foot and one under the block, we found out that if the block is cracked that it could be a manufactuer flaw, have you ever heard of anything like this with Evinrude or the year or specific model motor "

" My 1993 Evinrude 48 spl runs

" My 1993 Evinrude 48 spl runs and starts great. The problem is that that it will not readily tilt up or down. It does not have power tilt or trim. When in the down (run) position, I can just barely force it up to the tilt position while standing on the ground. I can't get it up at all from when in the boat. When I finally get it up, it won't come back down without equal effort. It takes about 100 lbs. of sustained pressure to get it either up or down. I suspect some kind of problem with the hydrolic cylinder. Help. "

Back