Logo

VMax motor seized less than 160 hours help

gwynnt

"2001 Yamaha Model VX200TLRZ &

"2001 Yamaha Model VX200TLRZ (new in box) put on new 2004 Hurricane (Jan 2004). This was a dealer upgrade from the 150hp to 200hp at same cost. Boat has been in water less that 10 times, Less than 160 hours. Motor locked up going down lake. Took to dealer and got a call yesterday. "The 2nd cylinder didn't get enough oil, so it locked up". He tells me the best he can do is $6500 to rebuild the top, or $13,500 to replace the top. Is there a defective part that someone is aware of? Is there any help from YAMAHA for a situation as this? Is there any help for me?Warrantee expired Jan 2006."

Welcome to the world of "

Welcome to the world of " automatic oil injection ". These systems typically have no instrumentation to tell you they are not working.Suggest a call to YAMAHA and politely ask for help in this matter.

"thanks - I'll let you kno

"thanks - I'll let you know how this goes. If there is anything else I should do, please advise."

"Terry,

It does not add up.

"Terry,

It does not add up. On this model the oil is pumped into the fuel injector pump assembly where it mixes with the fuel. Oil is not supplied to each cylinder separately. One cylinder can not receive less oil than the others. Maybe a bad fuel injector was the problem.

The powerhead could be replaced with a rebuilt unit from Red Rhino, www.obrparts.com , for $6500 easily. However, the cause for the failure has to be identified. Installing a defective part on the new powerhead will result in the same problem.

Tonty"

Back