Logo

BF2A WATER PUMP

My 1998 Honda 2 hp runs great

My 1998 Honda 2 hp runs great - thanks to information given to me here. The engine is air-cooled; the exhaust is water-cooled. Later models are entirely air-cooled. What happens if the impeller in the water pump fails? Can any damage to the motor result or does it just get hot to the touch below the engine? Thanks.

"LOL, my 2 hp impeller works

"LOL, my 2 hp impeller works fine. I was just curious if anyone knew what would happen if the impeller failed. Perhaps someone will read this post who had the impeller fail and relate the result. But, thx sledderdoc for your time.

Oh, I just ordered a fuel cap and found out my motor is a 1997 from the serial number."

No sweat! I have one rule when

No sweat! I have one rule when i tinker with stuff and that is leave it stock the way it was designed. I've had too many buddies "improve" the design only to find the life of there favorite toy dramatically reduced or trashed. I also like to enjoy my equipment rather than have the "hood" up all the time in the field.

"Excellent rule, sledderdoc.

"Excellent rule, sledderdoc. As long as I have my 9.9 Yamaha and my 2 hp Honda on the transom I should always get home without difficulty."

How much water comes out hole

How much water comes out hole of 1990 2hp?Just bought one used. In tank just a mist.Were is the pump if I need to replace it?

"It will leave water on my fin

"It will leave water on my fingers when I reach back to see that water pump works. I would say a heavy mist. If your extension case is cool, I believe your motor pumps enough water. The motor is air cooled. Only the exhaust is water cooled. You remove the lower unit from the extension case to replace the impeller. My shop manual shows two bolts that need to be removed. I've never had to replace the impeller. My motor has very low hours for a ten year old motor. The first eight years I just used it to get a sailboat away from and back to the dock."

Back