Logo

Need feedback on Mercury 6 hp four stroke

J

James Fegan

" Thinking about buying one. A

" Thinking about buying one. Any feedback on good or bad would be helpful.

thanks, Jim "

Most people who own four stro

Most people who own four strokes love them. It is because they are all new.Time will tell if people will love them years from now.Many a two stroke from the 60's still runs like new. Just my 2 cents.

" James...Have had the experie

" James...Have had the experience to work with the merc 4 strokes and so far have had no negative feedback or serious motor problems with the model your considering. Sparky is correct that they are still fairly new on the market and time will tell if they will stand up over time. Good luck and hpe I,ve been some help...DJ "

" James...Have had the experie

" James...Have had the experience to work with the merc 4 strokes and so far have had no negative feedback or serious motor problems with the model your considering. Sparky is correct that they are still fairly new on the market and time will tell if they will stand up over time. Good luck and hpe I,ve been some help...DJ "

" Here is both my experiance a

" Here is both my experiance and questions about the Merc 6HP/4 stroke outboard.
I have a 2002 Mercury (Tohatsu) 6HP 4 cycle that stalls after running in idle. This time can vary from 5 minutes up to a half hour. The half hour periods occur when the engine is running from cool and as the engine warms up more this run time shortens. I have removed the plug on the carb to gain access to the low speed jet adjustment. After adjusting this for a smoother idle (while in gear) the motor will still stall out after it warms up. I have also adjusted the idle at or above the minimum factory setting of 1100 RPM. Sometimes if you can get to the fuel hose bulb in time and give it a squeeze it will keep it from stalling (fuel pump?). This motor has had this problem from day one when I purchased it new. This motor has less than fifty hours on it and fortunately it is still under warranty for another 3 years. If anyone has any ideas as to what this idle problem is being caused by, I can pass this info on to the repair shop to expedite the repair. "

Ramrod...I had a problem simi

Ramrod...I had a problem similar to this with a merc 4hp 4 stroke which is basically same as the 6hp. Cleaning and adjusting the carb didn't solve the problem but replacing the carb with a new one from mercury did. As your motor is under warrenty your dealer should consider this option...DJ

Back