Logo

Merc high cost plugs

R

Ron Brassord

" I recently bought a new 04 m

" I recently bought a new 04 merc 50 HP Classic 2 stroke for our 15 Whaler, and am very happy with the performance. As with all past outboards, I like to carry spare parts especially spare plugs. When I went to purchase the specified plugs, I was surprised to find they list for over $12 each! [NGK BPZ8H N10]
I do not want to harm the engine, but wonder if a more common plug at the usual cost of $2 will work? It has been my experiance that changing plugs every 50 hours or so gets better performance, and reliability. Do the new plugs with the split electrode have a longer life?
We are very easy on our engine, and not looking for flat out performance.
Ron B lighthouse Point Fl. "

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE THE REC

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE THE RECOMMENDED PLUG FOR YOUR ENGINE. WHAT IS THE SERIAL # OF YOUR MOTOR?

" Ron,

You can buy that plu

" Ron,

You can buy that plug for a lot less than $12; probably about $6, but you might do even better than that. If you buy a box (ten plugs) from a discount auto store you could probably save much more.

NGK plugs are the best in my opinion. They seem to last longer than any other plug, but you could find a cross-reference to any other manufacturer's product. You could probably use a champion plug which would cost a lot less. I have never noticed any difference in performance based on different manufacturers' spark plugs. While the heat ranges may vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, the difference, in my opinion, is minimal at best.

I will check my spark plug cross-reference book later and see if I can find a few numbers for you.

Tony "

" BPZ8HN10
MercurY Marine lis

" BPZ8HN10
MercurY Marine list $11.30
NGK list $6.30
Advanced/Discount Auto usually carries NGK spark plugs, or they can at least order them.

With the CDM's you have in your ignition system,you might want to stay with the "Z" spark plug, to cut down on spark plug interference. "

" Ron,
NGK is a very good

" Ron,
NGK is a very good plug. I agree with Tony. Probably your best shot is getting the correct plug from a discount auto store. You can also save a little more if you cross reference to an automotive plug. Marine plugs are more corrosion resistant on the metal base. I went with an automotive plug. I get great performance but put up with a little coating of rust. Oh, gee! It is highly recommended that you use antisieze on the threads of any spark plug you are installing but especially marine engines for obvious reasons. Stay away from gimmick plugs with multi prong electrodes like Slitfire.
Eddie "

" Don't forget this motor

" Don't forget this motor is still under factory warranty. I would spend the extra bucks for the factory suggested sparkplug, and not do anything to jepordize the warranty. I've worked with factory tech reps and some of them can be a real pain in the butt when trying to get something covered under warranty, if an incorrect part is installed on a motor. "

" Ron,

The champion plug th

" Ron,

The champion plug that would replace the NGK is QL78YC. These are rather ordinary spark plugs and are used in many modern outboards. I doubt if you would notice any difference other than that the NGK plug would last longer. You could probably get the Champion plug for under $3, but many marine dealers would charge the list price, which is probably around $4 or $5.

My opinion is that you would be taking no chances by using the Champion plug, but that is up to you.

Tony "

" I have always beleived in li

" I have always beleived in listening and taking good advise. In this case, I will definately use the perscribed spark plug, and look for a better source to buy it.
Thanks for the help Ron B "

" Good advise works. I got the

" Good advise works. I got the part number from a box [4495] and took it to a discount auto store, and got the plugs for $5.00 each. That's a lot better than the $11.00 at a marine store for the exact same thing.
Thanks fellows Ron B LHP FL. "

Back