Logo

PCM 40 Transmission stuck in forward

flavadave2

"Hey guys just found the forum

"Hey guys just found the forum and would greatly appreciate some much needed help. I have a 2001 mastercraft with the 5.4 indmar and pcm 40 1.1 transmission to start with. About a month ago the real seal went out and bilge had water in it and got into the transmission. Ran it about 20 minutes before noticing when finally reverse and nuetral quit working and was stuck in forward. Pulled tranny and found 1 set of clutchs burnt up and stuck together but everything else looked like new. Ordered and replaced clutches on both ends and put back together. I reinstalled the tranny and now its still stuck in forward in gear all the time no matter where the shifter is and it isnt the shift cable as the lever on top of the tranny is moving back and forth. Please help. I got to get this boat out of the water and working as I am deploying to iraq next week and dont want to leave it as it is. Thanks in advance, Dave."

Most marine transmissions have

Most marine transmissions have a failsafe in forward so you can get back. If this is still an issue I will check my PMC manual. Let me know.

Sounds like the clutch is not

Sounds like the clutch is not shimmed properly. Did you do the work or have a transmission shop do it?

"Thanks for the input guys, I

"Thanks for the input guys, I just moved so havent got a chance to pull it back out. I put the new clutch pack in myself just as the old one came out. I understand from what Ive heard that there are forward and reverse pistons that engage the clutch plates. Is this true? How could I check these, with just air or do I need fluid. When I loaded the boat up to move it I noticed that its still stuck in forward all the time and it will not speed up much beyond 18 mph but then it drops down and then sppeds back up to around 18 mph. Im lost and really need to get this thing fixed. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Dave"

"Dave,
This is from my PMC re

"Dave,
This is from my PMC repair manual for the Warner transmission.
"Selector valve: When the selector valve is in the forward position oil is directed to the forward clutch the same for the reverse clutch." The selector valve may not be engaged or is pluged in your case.
Troubleshooting note: "Drives forward in Neutral.
1. Broken sealing rings or bushing. 2. Warped forward clutch plate or mechanical falure in clutch. 3. Exhaust blocked in control valve."

Hope this helps.
Bob"

Back