Logo

2006 75HP hard to start

gwilki

"I'm a new kid on this boa

"I'm a new kid on this board, and searched for a discussion of this problem, but no hits.
I have 2006 carbureted 75HP with about 8 hours on it. Before this, I had both a 40 and a 50 - loved 'em both.
The 75, though is bear to start. It sounds like it's flooded - almost catching, then not. This goes on until the battery is crying uncle. Once it's running, it's fine. Idles great, runs fine and starts on one click after the first battle.
The local marina operator says that he has seen on other 75 and a 90 with the same problem, but he knows of no solution.
I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow to see if they tell me anything, but I'm not optimistic since, once started, it runs fine.
Can anyone here help out?
Tks
Grant"

"After only 8 hours of operati

"After only 8 hours of operation? I'm guessing that you're kidding.

Actually, since posting my question, I believe that I found the problem. According to the manual, the last inch or so of travel in the fast idle lever on the control box actuates the choke. That is not correct. I popped the hood and the fast idle lever does just that, it allows the operator to increase the idle speed without putting the motor in gear. It is not connected at all to the choke linkage. There is a choke button on the motor itself that actually closes the butterflies. I was not using it, since the manual says that it was duplicated by the fast idle lever. There is also an electric choke solenoid under the hood, but my control box does not have the switch for it, so it is not connected on my motor.
So, in fact, my problem seems to be a combination of incorrect information in the Honda manual and an incomplete installation as concerns the electric choke."

Back