Logo

40hp Evinrude

R

Ray Hinnant

" My 1990, 40hp Evinrude Mod#

" My 1990, 40hp Evinrude Mod# TE40ELESR, Ser# G 02550498 has a milky substance coming from the propeller shaft exhaust housing. The lower unit oil is full and ok,(no water). Could this be a bad seal on the crankshaft? Thanks for any help. "

" Ray,

The exhaust is coole

" Ray,

The exhaust is cooled by water. When the exhaust and water mix it produces a thick, milky liquid. This accumulates on the walls of the exhaust system and can slowly drain out through the prop and drain holes in the gearcase for quite some time after the engine has been shut down.

Tony "

" Thanks Tony, This was the fi

" Thanks Tony, This was the first time I had noticed this much discharge. I had it hooked up to earmuffs and garden hose and was performing correct timing and carburetor sync on it according to the Seloc manual. It was quite a bit off. It now starts and idles great but sometimes coughs when advancing rpm a little. The manual calls for 725-775 rpm idle speed. Is this for a load on the prop in water? With the muffs I can only get it down to about 975. Thanks for your help. Ray "

Back