Logo

8hp 1993 Shift rod disconnect

dynamo1181

Help! How do I get the shift r

Help! How do I get the shift rod disconnected so I am able to replace the impellor? I have the lower unit down 1" hanging on the shift rod.
Will I need more parts other than the impellor? Any other tricks for non water pumping engine...impellor has never been changed.
Thanks for prompt reply.
Alan

"Got the lower unit off. Water

"Got the lower unit off. Water pump has been rebuilt and she is a happy lil pumper now.
A
"

"Hey, I'm trying to do the

"Hey, I'm trying to do the same but can't figure it out. It's the weekend here (New Zealand) and no dealers are open to sell me a manual.

Any chance of a little help? I've got the lower unit hanging on the shift shaft but don't see a reasonable way of disconnecting it.

Cheers for the help"

"Tim,
Look half way up the lo

"Tim,
Look half way up the lower unit on the side under the handle( I would call that the front side...opposite the prop side). you will see the shift rod going into a connector with a 10mm bolt that secures the joint. loosen the bolt and pry open the clamp the bolt pinches and the lower rod will slide out.
I found i did not need any gaskets on my unit in replacing the impellor. I found I had one broken blade and the other intact blades had a periminant bend in them so they were of lil use. pumps great now. let me kno if u need anything else on this as well as how it goes. my unit was a 93 8hp.
Alan"

"Alan,

Thank you so much

"Alan,

Thank you so much for the help. I had my motor mounted up against a wall so I never even looked in front. Easy job now that it's apart. My impeller is in the same condition, 1 blade broken, another half gone and the rest bent.

Cheers,
Tim"

"Tim,
Your more than welcome

"Tim,
Your more than welcome. I found the same help here when I was in need. We were launching our sailboat and desperate to have that dinghy ready for tow.
Good luck on your venture.
Alan"

Back