Logo

89 MERC TRIGGER

G

Gary G

" I am working on a 89 Merc 3c

" I am working on a 89 Merc 3cyl 80hp O/B for my neighbor. The motor probably only has about 100 hours on it but it has been sitting for 8 years in a garage. I got the motor running and took the boat out for a ride. The motor ran perfect for about 2 hours and then I lost a cyl. Not a fuel problem. Not compression either.Not a bad plug, not a coil. My test equip points to a trigger gone bad. Is this common in older Mercs?? "

" Gary,

A bad trigger is no

" Gary,

A bad trigger is not unusual. A bad switchbox might also be the problem. It is easy to troubleshoot. Hook up a spark tester (you should be able to rig one up if you don't have one), and switch the trigger leads to the switchbox. If the lack of spark moves with the trigger lead, the trigger is the problem. If the switchbox is bad, the lack of spark will not move.

Tony "

" I have a 1976 Merc 700, 3 cy

" I have a 1976 Merc 700, 3 cylinder outboard. I tested the compression and it was alright. But when i tested the ignition only one cylinde had a spark. The service manual says that it is probaly a bad trigger coil is this right? "

Back