Logo

Sticking solenoid

N

Neil May

I have a 1992 brendella with a

I have a 1992 brendella with a 351. The starter solenoid sticks every now and then. I have purchased 2 new solenoids and they only work a couple of times and they stick on permanently! My dealer that is 2 hours away doesn't know what the problem is and told me to bring it in. Any help would be aprreciated.

"Are they getting excessively

"Are they getting excessively hot do to location? If so, you might try relocating them in a cooler area, and possibly insulating them.

I had a race car that did that all the time. Insulating the heat source cured the problem.

Jeff"

I don't think its excessiv

I don't think its excessively hot. It did it once right when I pulled it off the trailer. It's like the starter is using too much juice or something. It doesn't turn over hard or anything.

"On second thought, maybe the

"On second thought, maybe the key switch is keeping the thing energized. My RV usesd to do that at times.

Jeff"

I checked that to...Just wonde

I checked that to...Just wondering if it is some kind of special solenoid. Orignal one says diode resistor on the side and the other ones don't. I asked the dealer about that and they told me that is the correct one for my boat. Thanks for the help

"No bad ground...gave up and t

"No bad ground...gave up and took it to the dealer
"

Back