Logo

BF35 alarm issue

flatsbottomgirl

"Just recently purchased this

"Just recently purchased this 16' Carolina Skiff with a BF35 (97' was the only year this engine was built) Just recently had the lower unit seals, impeller, water pump and tilt and trim replaced. Prior to this, the motor was not peeing regularly. Did notice that i have a cracked lower gear case that has already been welded on one side but that is another issue. (if you know anyone that may have a lower unit gear case for sale let me know.) Took a trip to West Palm and ran the engine for 4 days straight. Offshore, inshore and trolling. Never a glitch. Got home last week and went out for the first time locally and right off the bat, after a five min run in the ICW, my alarm went off the engine went into "safe mode" Idle speed. I have put in new plugs, changed the oil and the lower unit oil. What would cause the alarm to go off and could it just be a bad sending unit? I heard that the tilt may be causing the oil pressure sensor to fail, hence the alarm. I don't have an oil pressure gauge or lights to look at. jsut a constant buzzing then goes off after i back her down to idle speed but she won't let me go up any after that. With a manual in hand can i diagonis teh problem and possibly fix on my own. Any help or suggestion would be great. With a lower unit gear case in the near future (almost 500$) and after 500$ for all the previous work, i need to keep it out of a mechanics diagonistic hands for a while $$$. Maybe a simple unplug of different sensors and a voltage check to the remaining plugged in could narrow the problem down. It's shrimp season and i have a hankerin for some shrimperin! LOL"

Back