Logo

BF2A BAES1228797 carburetor

"I'm the original owner of

"I'm the original owner of a 1998 2 hp used now and then as auxilary power - very low hours. A few years ago it developed a miss. I took the carb apart and sprayed cleaner in it. Worked ok until this year; I use fuel stabilizer now. Similar problem developed. For several days I've tried various degrees of cleaning - spraying with carb cleaner, running with cleaner in fuel, and disassembling and soaking in Gunk carb cleaner. Installed new gaskets and NGK sparkplug. Now starts on one pull cold or hot. Runs a little better. Idles great, but misses at higher revs. Tried to order a new carb, but was told Honda no longer supplied carbs for this engine. Any ideas? Would a shop charge more than the motor is worth to fix it? Thanks!"

"I've had a similar proble

"I've had a similar problem. Idles great, runs good at medium, but when I give it full throttle it died. I cleaned it, put new gaskets, still the same. It ran better but still would cut out at full throttle. I thought I had cleaned all holes where gas went through and then I found 2 extra on the left side of the choke I had missed and found a little wasp cocoon in the top hole. After using a thin piece of wire to get it out and then carb spray I cleaned it out now it runs perfect. I never thought about bugs going thru the air cleaner, but that was my problem. maybe this could help."

"I cleaned it as you said. I

"I cleaned it as you said. I saw were carb cleaner sprayed into the idle adjuster area from one hole and the main jet area from the other hole. Reassembled it. Ran in test bucket with no prop; otherwise all the water is blown out of the bucket (For those who wonder why an air-cooled outboard is tested in a water bucket? The older Honda 2's had a water pump to cool the exhaust with water. What a kludge!). Still misses, but maybe not as bad. I was running the motor without the load of the prop. So maybe with a load it will smooth out. I'll take it to a lake tomorrow to try it.

With all the submerged logs and rocky bottoms here, I like to have an auxillary. My main motor on my aluminum boat is a 9.9 2006 Yamaha - great motor. I probably wind up replacing Honda with another small engine. Academy Sports has Merc 2.5's for $726. The best price I found on a small Yamaha was $890. No, No more Hondas. Yamaha's website has a great parts break down, drawings and part name lists, for each motor. So maybe I'll get another Yamaha despite the cost. But, first I need to test the Honda in the lake."

"OOPS! The Honda works! Than

"OOPS! The Honda works! Thanks Dan you're a genius! Guess I won't have to buy a new motor. I ran it more today than any day since 5-28-98. That was the day I bought it. It runs great. Pushes my boat 3 or 4 miles an hour. I timed it between mile marks. Pushed my sailboat faster, but it had a displacement hull and a longer water line. My 9.9 planes the boat in the 13 - 15 mile range. So I'm set now. I'll be exploring those creeks again. Thanks!"

Back