Logo

2000 f50 starter problem

gordonh729

"When turning the key on my 20

"When turning the key on my 2000 f50 yamaha electric start/remote, it won't energize the starter relay or solenoid. There is a brown wire going into the relay that i can disconnect and jump from the battery to get it to energize and start the motor. The key switch will still turn the engine off. What I need to find out is how to trouble shoot the remote unit where the key is to find the open. Haven't dug into behind the key switch yet, but noticed one bundle of wires with a red, black, yellow and green wire. There was 12 volts between the red and black."

"no, there is no voltage to th

"no, there is no voltage to the primary side of the relay switch unless I use my jumper wire directly from the battery. That's how I started it the last time I went fishing. I can pull start it, but that's no fun. Also got the starter to crank by shorting across the secondary side of the relay with a screw driver and sparking fireworks, but I hated doing that standing in water in an aluminum boat and being that close to that much current flow. That's when I came up with the idea of jumping the primary side instead since there's less current on the 'little wire' side. It wasn't getting any power when the key was turned. It didn't bite me too much while out in the rain last weekend, but it still bit me a little and I don't like even small shocks. I'm guessing the problem is at the key end of the circuit, but I don't know anything about it. Wish I could get a diagram of what color wires to look for. I'll be trying to get behind the key switch this weekend and see what's there. Seems like there has to be a hot wire going from the key to that brown wire I jumped on the relay. The circuit stays open somewhere when the key should close it when turned all the way to the right. Or the circuit could be grounded out...just don't know. The starter's good, the relay's good got a new battery and connecters on the wires going to the battery."

What about the " crank in

What about the " crank in nuetral only " function that is usually in the control box?? Look for that switch in the box.

Re: crank in nuetral only

G

Re: crank in nuetral only

Good point. There's a black wire under the shifter but don't know how to tell if funtioning right.

Back