Logo

1997 40 hp Honda four stoke leaking white oil

E

Eric Schutte

White oil leaks out of the low

White oil leaks out of the lower unit after runing the motor. The motor runs great. I am trying to get some answers first before I spend the money to get something fixed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you may have a sea

Sounds like you may have a seal leak in the lower unit allowing water to get in. Check the oil filler screw to see if the oil in the lower unit is white. Just undo the bottom one and pull away for a second to see. Don't take it right out as oil will drain. Don't try the top one as water is heavier than oil and will sit at the bottom.

It is white and it looks like

It is white and it looks like there is a seal problem. It is something that can be fixed on my own?

"J-I-T is right, at this point

"J-I-T is right, at this point if haven't already done so pick up a service manual and do the lower unit. I would do the impeller and seals. This is something your going to regularily so its worth doing yourself. Normally impeller can be done every couple of years or so and the seals every four or so. This little bit of preventive maintenance will go a long way to trouble free boating. Cheers Norm"

"Hope that makes sense I can&#

"Hope that makes sense I can't type if my life depended on it!!
crazy.gif
"

Back