Logo

1987 Honda 4 stroke 10 horse oil leak

saltydog

" I have an oil leak somewhere

" I have an oil leak somewhere on the motor that leaks while sitting at a 35 degree angle on my sailboat. It also leaks on the water while running. I was wondering what the likely suspects would be. It has leaked 12 ounces in two years, low hours maybe 10. I purchased a manual from the board and am looking at fixing the problem myself, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks. "

" Im no 4-stroke outboard expe

" Im no 4-stroke outboard expert but have worked on verticle shaft 4-stroke engines in a variety of of horsepowers on items such as lawn mowers and such. My thought are certianly not to be taken as gospel, just thoughts.

I would suspect a minor leak at the seal where the crank comes out of the bottom of the powerhead.

I would think a weak seal, especially if combined with a little blowby (presure escaping past the rings) would cause a slight leak at that point.

Gurus, correct me if I am off base, just figure that would be as good a place to start as any especially since it leaks when not in use. "

"Saltydog,

You have to be c

"Saltydog,

You have to be careful with four stroke engines. Because the engine must have crankcase ventilation, there will be a connection between the crankcase and the intake manifold or air intake. Oil can flow from the oil reservoir to the intake when the engine is in certain positions. I'm not saying that this is definitely your problem; just reminding you of this feature on the four stroke engines.

The oil filter is another possible source for leaks on these engines. It may not be installed properly.

Tony"

Back