Logo

43 stallinghard to start

tbeutjer

"I just bought 1990 Dynasty, b

"I just bought 1990 Dynasty, boat had been sitting for a year, winterized and stored. It ran ok on the test ride except for a little misfiring. Used it one day all day and ran good, alittle hard to start but good. Next day not so good, ran about 10 minutes and shut off, took a long time to refire then ran ok again for about 10 minutes. Started accelerating and it died, fired up and same thing several times and then hard to start and eventually just a slow idle back to the ramp with many stalls and hard to restart. Cleaned all filters, changed plugs, old ones were black. Ck'd distributor and wires, ok. At times when it would try to stall could see and hear sparks from the coil to leads from around the coil wire, not while running normal though. Any ideas, is it carb or coil? Thanks"

""Ck'd distributor and

""Ck'd distributor and wires, ok"..."could see and hear sparks from the coil to leads from around the coil wire"

I would take a REAL CLOSE look at the coil for hairline cracks and carbon tracking. Wipe the coil clean with a degreasing spray--dirt conducts voltage.

The coil wire to the dist. cap sounds like it is shot thus forcing the spark to jump to ground. If the coil wire is shot, I'd change it and the plug wires with a QUALITY SET of wires and make sure they are routed without crisscrossing one another. If the coil continues to arc, replace it.

The rotor and cap should not have any corrosion or transfer crud from the rotor to the cap pins. Replace if in doubt--cheap insurance.

Carburetor: The bowl is probably full of crud, the choke shaft may be gummed up at the bushings and/or the choke is out of adjustment. Evidence is the blackened plugs. Spray the choke shaft and throttle shaft bushings with carb cleaner and then lube them with a light oil. Same for carb linkages.

Old gas will also wreak havoc in the carb. and the plugs. If tank is more than 60% full, pump it out and put 1.5 CANS OF SEA FOAM into the tank then fill with fresh fuel. Dump 1/2 can into oil. If less than 60% tank of fuel, just put in the SEA FOAM and fresh fuel.

After you burn a1/3 - 1/2 tank of fuel and it is still acting up, carb needs to be worked on."

"It sure sounds like you have

"It sure sounds like you have an ignition problem.
If it was me I would not dick around with it and risk getting left somewhere a long way from home with a dead engine. It can be a real long day on the water when things don't go right.
I would replace the rotor, cap, plugs and all wires immediately with good high quality marine/Merc stuff. I would also replace the coil to be sure where that is at. Keep the old one as a spare.
If it's a T'bolt IV system I would also replace the optic sensor in the distributor, as they can cause all sorts of trouble when they get dirty.
Set your plug gaps and timing to spec and you should be away.
Rod"

"Thanks for the advice. Cleane

"Thanks for the advice. Cleaned carb and installed kit, mounted carb and ck'd coil again, no cracks. Cleaned coil wire and coil, green greasy substance. She ran rough at first but then cleared up and ran for about 30 minutes just fine, starts easy and revs up fine through all throttle settings. Still gotta drop her in the lake for the final test."

"Tommy.
<[img]"http://www.mar

"Tommy.
stop.gif

Throw the cat another goldfish and replace that coil mate, they are only cheap and that green greasy substance could be the oil starting to leak out of the coil mixing with the oxidisation on the coil terminals.
""LOOSE SPARKS BLOW UP BOATS""

Cheers
Peter C
happy.gif
"

"Peter,
Safety first, I li

"Peter,
Safety first, I like the policy. Got the coil on order. Thanks for the reality check. I prefer the boats that float and run and not blow up. By the way the cat is fat now!!! Burning up in BAMA
ROLL TIDE
sun.gif
"

"Guy

(( "Throw

"Guy

(( "Throw the cat another goldfish" ))

Like that one eh ??
Dont worry I have a bag full of them.

Tommy

Myself and the other guys on this site have often disscused the safety factor with boats, you have an enclosed basin in the hull of a boat that fuel vapours can acumulate in with out your knowledge. Given the right set of circumstances it only takes one of those loose sparks to turn your boat into a fireball engulfing you and anyone else who happens to be sitting in it at the time.

As far as I am concerned the 3 most important things you need for having a safe boating experience are.

1) A well ventilated bilge with a good bilge blower system.
2) At least 1 good fire extinguisher.
3) A very large dose of common sense.

Have Fun
Cheers
Peter C."

"Better, but still issues. She

"Better, but still issues. She starts and runs fine until she warms up. New coil, inline filter, new coil wire. Fires right up, but after reaching operating temp. she starts misfiring at high speeds. Lifting the back lid seems to help some, it's hot in BAMA. Ck'd the fuel vent line, ok, gonna ck compression next time. Any more thoughts in the mean time? Thanks to all for your help and expertise. ROLL TIDE
sun.gif
"

Back