Logo

Reinstalling stern drive alignment tool needed

pktaske

"Didn't want to hijack ano

"Didn't want to hijack another thread so I'll ask here. Reading around here, seems like pulling the upper unit off is not that difficult (I'm going to change my water pump and seals). However, do I need an alignment tool to get the upper unit back on? Again, I read some stuff saying I did. True? If it matters, I have 1 2.5L 120hp.

Also - what kind of bolt heads (4) are on the top of my Alpha 1 drive cover? Weird."

"Nick
As long as you dont dis

"Nick
As long as you dont disturb the gimble bearing, then technicaly NO.
BUT, I always check them anyway as it can help to pick up other problems, like colapsing engine mounts, good alignment will reduce wear and vibration in the drive assembly.

Top bolt names may vary slightly from here to there but multi hex headed screws is what I know them as.

Cheers
Peter C"

"Nick
A multi hex socket, &#4

"Nick
A multi hex socket, (sounds just too simple doesnt it) 3/8 from memory.
Cheers
Peter C"

"don't know where you live

"don't know where you live Nick, but in the U.S. thats a standard 12 point socket. and yes, it's 3/8. kinda curious why you would ask. there is no reason to remove those to do the job you mentioned."

"Peter - Re-looking at them ag

"Peter - Re-looking at them again, I see that a normal multi-hex socket can be used. Sorry. The weird shape threw me off. Never say that before.

Scott - I want to pop the top off for a quick look at the top bearing for any signs of corrosion from the salt water."

"Nick, Did you have signs of

"Nick, Did you have signs of water in the gearcase? If not, then do not pull the cover off. You may break some of the bolts. if you did have water, replace waterpump base and gaskets along with impeller, and put new oil seal oring between upper and lower gearcase, as well as oring on lower driveshaft."

If you remove the top cap bolt

If you remove the top cap bolts retorque to 20 ft lbs. for proper bearing preload! Important.

Chris - Yes. Creamy color afte

Chris - Yes. Creamy color after a few times out. Water definitely getting in.

I'm going to give changing those o-rings a try. Doesn't seem like I need any special tools (like I would for prop shaft bearing).

Back