Logo

2002 Honda 90 no pee

perdidojoe

"Hi,
My 02 Honda 90 has no wa

"Hi,
My 02 Honda 90 has no water coming out of the pee hole/cooling system indicator.
My daughter was using the boat for several hours, when she got back there was no water coming out.
She may have driven it like this a couple of hours.
I checked the screen and I can see3 through it. I did not take the screen off.
While trying to clear it I discovered water will quite forcefully shoot out of the wash/flush hole while the engine is running.
The motor runs fine.
Where should I look for the blockage?
Suggestions please.
One more question, when running in neutral I hear a grinding sound, it has been doing that for a long time.
Thanks"

"I don't suppose your daug

"I don't suppose your daughter would have noticed the overheat light come on at all, I know mine wouldn't look at all (just as well I would rather have her look for other traffic) or did she happen to mention if it really slowed down. Just trying to get an idea if it did seriously overheat."

"sledderdoc,
I bought this Ho

"sledderdoc,
I bought this Honda 90 motor used over a year ago and I have not changed the impeller.
As far as Tracey knows the motor did not slow down they just happened to see it wasn't peeing.
I do not think the engine is damaged. It cranks up in 1 or 2 seconds, it sounds great, no smoke, rattles or any other sounds and is not missing.
I smelled the oil and it doesn't smell like it got hot.
The water under pressure from the ear muffs comes out of the holes above them in the foot and through the prop. The water coming out is warm when the engine is running. No pee.
She did not know where the overheat light is. I have never seen it on.
We have changing water depths, shallow water and sand so we hit the sand often that's why I thought it was stopped up.
Now I think it is the impeller. Any tips on taking the foot off?
Thanks
Joe Templeton
Pensacola"

Its a really good idea to chan

Its a really good idea to change the impeller every couple of years anyways (2) and the seals perhaps every 4 or so. Since the motor was used and 5 years old I would consider doing both the seals and impeller. Its not difficult to remove the lower unit however a service manual for 30 bucks or so is a great investment at this point. It will make your life easier and you'll get lots of use out of it. I agree it sounds like it hasn't overheated a great deal so thats good.

Sorry I keep getting called aw

Sorry I keep getting called away to boot here. If you suspect sand in the system when you have it apart make sure you clean everything as well as you can. You may even find that your pee hole is just plugged but do the lower unit regardless of what you find. Good luck! Cheers Norm

Back