Logo

Gimble HousingShaft Problems

adronw

"I have a 1970 Dixie Craft wit

"I have a 1970 Dixie Craft with a 120HP Mercruiser. I was running the boat on muffs yesterday when all of a suddon all heck broke loose and the engine sounded like it was going to jump out of the boat. I pulled the upper unit off and looked. It had thrown a U-joint and bent the ears on the shaft going into the transom. I tried to pull the shaft out but it is stuck. very tight quarters. I have ordered a manual. is their a snap ring holding the shaft in place? The boot is also torn and will need replaced. This is my first boat. The gimble housing was cracked and broke in several areas.I am very confused on stern drive, alpha's Bravo's Gen 1s What might I have The stern has a Serial Number 2793662 Need Help, Thanks in advance Adron Wilson"

"If your gimbal ring is shot y

"If your gimbal ring is shot you may be wise to look on ebay for a complete assembly out of a salvaged boat. Otherwise new parts will scare the pants off you for price, if they are available at all.
Another option is to pick up a wrecked boat with a good (and maybe newer) drive train and swap it all over.
BTW, it's good this happened in your driveway as opposed to miles from land!
My guess is the boat had not been run for a few years and the U joints were likely dry/rusted and partially seized.
Rod"

Adron
As Rod says you are ver

Adron
As Rod says you are very lucky it happened in your drive way and not a long way from the launching ramp on the water.
Mercruiser stern drives can be a daunting animal if you have never worked on one before but once you have repaired yours you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
There are stacks of used parts around for them and they are always popping up on ebay.
Have a good read of a manual before you get to involved.
Cheers
Peter C

Back