Logo

Vibration and pops out of gear Alpha one

boiseboat

I have a '97 Sea Ray 210 w

I have a '97 Sea Ray 210 with 5.7 FI and Alpha One drive. At approx 20 mph it starts to vibrate and if I dont back off the throttle it will pop out of gear. The boat has 170 hours on it. I've played with the cable and thats not it. Is it possible that it is a u-joint causing the vibration leading to it poping out of gear? If the gears were gone it wouldn't vibrate first? Also it can be hammered down on from a dead stop and it will not pop out of gear or vibrate until approx 20 mph. I'm new to working on boats and any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Check the engine mounts and se

Check the engine mounts and see if the prop is damaged and/or the prop shaft is bent.

Thanks for the info. I checke

Thanks for the info. I checked the prop and it is a 15 1/4 x 15p. Do you think thats to low of pitch for this boat. The Michigan prop site suggests a 14 3/4 x 21p for this boat. I bought the boat from an auction recently and dont know any history and have never had it working right. thanks again.

"<center><table border=1><tr><

"<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msexcel.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.ms-excel"">prop finder
[url=""][b]Copy of Boat_Speed_Finder-79780.xls[/b][/url] (22.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

use this spreadsheet
select boat type and input data
you need loaded weight, engine HP rating, OD gear ratio, altitude (feet above sea level)"

"Sounds like the prop is not t

"Sounds like the prop is not turning true for some reason. Turn the prop by hand and see if the shaft is bent to the eye.
Check the blades closely for visible damage such as chunks missing or bent.
Your prop hub may be slipping once you hit high torque RPM. If it's a Tork-Flo prop hub you may need to replace it.
15" pitch does not sound right for that boat and engine combo. The 21" you found sounds more like it.
If all the above check out OK, you may have a slipping engine coupler, or internal gear damage in the drive.
I strongly suspect a bent prop shaft or mangled prop.
Rod"

"jr;
Most marinas will let yo

"jr;
Most marinas will let you try out 2 or 3 props if it looks like you are serious about buying one. So use this to try different pitches to see what works best for you.
Personally I am a fan of the 5 blade High Five, and I beleive the Mirage props are also a good bet.
Rod"

Back