Logo

1984 140 hp mercruiser Impeller

scott_laroe

Ok I just bought a 1984 Sylvan

Ok I just bought a 1984 Sylvan with a 1984 140 hp mercruiser in it

the boat is running a bit HOT and I DID have to rebuild the heads and every thing up top

I bought this boat super cheap and its in really good shape

now for reasons that only make since I want to get to the bottom of the reason why the head blew to start with

My dad told me I should put a new impeller in it and I have already put a new thermostat in it

could you guys lead me in the next step

Should I replace the impeller and where can I get a on line manual or step by step on how to do so

Also my dad found what he called chunks of the impeller in the boat like a hard rubber

could this be it

any help would be great

scott

"Sounds like your impeller is

"Sounds like your impeller is disintegrating alright.
You can get a Seloc or Clymer manual from this site or ebay, or your local boat store. Seloc manual is available online.
You will need to backflush your entire cooling system while you are at it to remove all impeller pieces.
Rod"

"this'll get you started.

"this'll get you started. remove drive (complete) from boat. put in fwd. gear, remove aft trim pin, six nuts and it's off. support drive and drain. (you can do this first if it's easier) remove trim tab zinc. remove 1 allen screw above zinc into upper. 1 5/8 nut fwd. 2 5/8 nuts below ventilation plate (recessed) 2 5/8 nuts either side. lift off upper. pump is now accessable."

This sounds harder then I inte

This sounds harder then I intended

I figured if I can rebuild the whole top part of this Engine I could change a Impeller

or does it just sound harder then it really is??

thanks a ton scott

"It's no hard to do, but y

"It's no hard to do, but you are well advised to read up on it first if you have not had the drive off before. There are a few tricks as scott has pointed out.
Rod"

"not hard at all. just do it r

"not hard at all. just do it right. remove drive maybe 15 minutes. split drive another 20. water pump replace simple. reassemble simple. install simple. as long as you take it a step at a time, and don't try to cut corners, a couple of hours. buy a manual. if you are going to do your own work, it will prove valuable."

"Scott.
Listen to the boys, d

"Scott.
Listen to the boys, dont be tempted to shortcut the job and remove just the bottom of the leg to do the pump.
Remove the whole leg at the bell housing it will only cost you a couple of bucks extra for the gaskets, the job will be much easier to do on the bench and you can inspect your uni joints, gimble bearing, bellows, water pipe and shift key ect, while you are there.
It is not a hard job but do a but of reading of a manual first, OK.

Cheers
Peter C"

Back