Logo

Gimble Bearing and U joint Replacement

bill_k

Regular Contributor
"97 Alpha one outdrive, any wo

"97 Alpha one outdrive, any words of advise before I tackle this new project, also about how long should it take.. is there anything else that would be good to replace or adjust while in there???"

Replace water inlet hose and a

Replace water inlet hose and all of the bellows also change impeller if it has been more than a year. Clean and inspect engine coupler splines for "rounding" of the spline edges--indicates OD and engine misalignment. Coupler spline teeth should be square cut with little wear. Inspect the engine mount bases for rot.

"Thanks Guy, is there any spec

"Thanks Guy, is there any special tools needed?? before I tear into it and realize it too late.."

"No special tools required, un

"No special tools required, unless you are planning to tear into the upper or lower gear assemblies. You can split them to change the pump impeller without special tools. Removing the gimbal bearing is much easier with a slide hammer.
You can change the U joints with the upper unit assembled, but it is much easier with the input shaft/bearing/gear assembly removed. This does require a special wrench to remove the backing nut, which you can likely borrow from your local friendly boat mechanic. I recommend you procure a spare "C" clip with the new U Joints, as they can break very easily. The voice of sad experience talking.
Note carefully the order of the shims you find where the bearing assembly fits into the housing, and reassemble exactly the same way. Also the backing nut must be torqued exactly to spec to properly preload the bearing pack. This will also give you an opportunity to inspect the drive and driven gears for any kind of strange wear pattern. If it's a 1.62 ratio drive, the gear teeth must be aligned using match marks during reassembly. Other ratios do not need alignment.
You should get the manual for the drive if you don't already have it.
Rod"

Rod said it all. A bellows sp

Rod said it all. A bellows spreader tool is helpful for easy install. You'll also need bellows adhesive.

Back