Logo

How about omc guys

viequesboy1

Contributing Member
"Planning in buying a 25 foot

"Planning in buying a 25 foot stamas with a 318 engine and a omc outdrive, always had mercruisers? how good are they ,is a 66 outdrive ,a sincere advice out there. Thanks guys. Angel"

"The only things wrong with it

"The only things wrong with it that I can think of would be the 318 and the omc drive.
Sorry, I am just not a fan of the older Chrysler engines and omc drives, though I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who will swear by both.
I figure the 318 was great in the '65 Valiant, and should have died with it. I had a '99 Dodge Ram with a 318 for a short while, and that thing couldn't pull your hat off.
Anyhow, this post should stir up lots of heated debate on both sides.
Rod"

Angel:

I don't know wha

Angel:

I don't know what a Stamas boat is but the small block Chrysler 318 engine was around for a long time and proved to be reliable. It is similar to or even a little better than a Chevy 305 or Ford 307 as for performance. I thought that OMC was short for Other Man's Crap.

Rod:

My 72 Dodge Charger

Rod:

My 72 Dodge Charger had a 318 with 3.73 rear end; kept it for 9+ years. It ran like a cat chased by a pack of dogs w/just a 2 BBL carb. But then 73 came and the Govt. stuck the EPA in charge of pollution and it went to the dogs like your 99; you should have had a 360. LOL

"The motor is ok, parts are ea

"The motor is ok, parts are easy to get but the outdrive may be another story. If you can not get stuff to fix it than run the other way. Go to a OMC dealer and ask them about part availability. If they fall to the ground laughing, than it is safe to assume it is not a good idea.
Since water pumps need changing regularly, ask for a water pump kit for that year of unit. Some folks will not work on older stuff, so make that a considration."

"I knew this topic would stir

"I knew this topic would stir up some great debate!
I think that era omc used rotating ball-wheel type U joints, and a sector plate and pinion gear arrangement to raise the drive. From what I remember the ball wheels wear out quickly if the drive is run trimmed up any amount. And parts avaialblilty may well be an issue like Billl says.
Guy; good comments on the 318. I love it.
Rod"

"Scott, its a 1966 crysler 318

"Scott, its a 1966 crysler 318 in a 25 footer stamas, nice and clean,its been well taken care of,i had same engine on a 65 coronet.Or maybe its not original?"

"can't find any reference

"can't find any reference to chrysler in old omc's. brp website only goes back to 68. I just don't remember seeing a chrysler on an omc. always gm, or ford. might just be me though."

"Angel
Here is my 10 cents wo

"Angel
Here is my 10 cents worth.
The 318 isnt a bad engine, like many of the V configuration, cast iron engines she is a reliable old work horse that will probably wear out before it breaks.
Now, all you have to do is get the current owner to agree to fit it out with a mercruiser stern drive or factor replacing the OMC gear with the merc gear at some time in the near future and you will be laughing.
I agree with Guy, OMC stands for Other Mans Crap but the problem is the hard earned will pour out of your pocket so you had better have a good bank manager if you go down the path you are heading.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Guys, can the omc be replaced

"Guys, can the omc be replaced for a merc. outdrive ,if yes what i need besides the outdrive(have a trs laying around complete) Angel"

"Angel
Everything from the cr

"Angel
Everything from the crankshaft back as far as I know, with some changes to the transom.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Angel, there is either some c

"Angel, there is either some confusion about what this thing is, or it is a total bastard child. leave this one alone! it is old and you will have problems. a repower would cost more than the value of the boat. regardless of condition. if you got it free, it would not be a good deal. this old girl is way past her prime. go back to shopping."

"Rick:

Yeah, you're rig

"Rick:

Yeah, you're right. Ford made a 302 marine engine. I was off by 5 c.i. WHOGAS?"

"Hey People.

Rick, I wouldn

"Hey People.

Rick, I wouldnt question your knowledge but I am sure that there is a guy who moor's his early 70's Searay 25 Flybridge near my boat that has a 318 hooked up to an OMC drive.
I havent sighted the engine but I have spoken to him a few times about all the money he has thrown at the drive and I am positive he has said it has a 318 in it.
I suppose someone could have just grafted it in there at some stage.
Anyway, I think Scotts advice is the best as far as I am concerned unless Angel is prepared to throw a heap of money at this boat, he should just let it sit where it is, there are plenty of more fish in the sea that will cost much less to own.

Cheerioooooooooooooo.
Peter C"

"Peter, good morning? thanks,

"Peter, good morning? thanks, but I agree with Mr. Sweeten. I don't think OMC ever used a chrysler. don't have anything against them, but have never seen this setup. would not recommend a '66 omc in any case."

"Scott.
Its interesting.
I w

"Scott.
Its interesting.
I wouldnt argue with you or Rick, you are both a long, long way more experienced than me when it comes to marine product.
I know that the guy I am talking about currently has his boat pulled up backwards on his slip so I asume that his OMC has dropped its bundle again so I think I might just stop in and see him for a visit and see just what it is he has for a power plant just to satisfy my own curiosity.
I know he has already thrown half the price he paid for the boat at repairs to the drive so far to date in the last 3 years.

BTW its 2.33pm Tuesday arvo here.

Cheers
Peter C"

"look forward to your next pos

"look forward to your next post. will check tommorrow, as it's close to midnite here, and well past my bedtime. good afternoon, and goodnight. S."

Scott
Havent been able to cat

Scott
Havent been able to catch the guy this afternoon but I will pin him down in the next day or two and let you know what I find.
Cheers
Peter C

"OK GUYS AFTER 20 PLUS COMMENT

"OK GUYS AFTER 20 PLUS COMMENTS I THINK IM A HARD HEADED GUY that needs to listen to experience, Scotts message woke me up( holy cow Angel. how many ways do you need to hear this? what makes you want yhis boat so much?)You see thats counseling ,(felt like my dad back in the days a little fear,respect...anyway gotta listen and learn,

not buying mystery boat no more but need help in buying one ,? what's a good reliable set up on a 23,24 foot boat?thank you guys for the advice angel"

Angel:

Keep looking for th

Angel:

Keep looking for the boat you want. Someone will be selling one that will work for you. Look for a boat that has had 1 or 2 owners and has service documents or records. A 23' or 24' boat in very good condition will demand a good price. If you can hold off until the end of the boating season the prices will be lower and sellers will be more willing to negotiate. I suggest that you buy a current N.A.D.A. buyers' pricing guide for boats to get an estimate of what a specific boat is worth in the current market.

"Sounds good as always,will do

"Sounds good as always,will do that, i'll let you guys know what happens before any other moves, thanks a lot. Angel"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
87445.jpg
outdrive"">

this is some sterndrive? which one? anybody"

"now, i was told this was a da

"now, i was told this was a darn omc, the guy called me asking if i was going to buy the boat or not , i said NO, he ask why, i said confused about setup , he said it wasnt an omc , its a ? dana /Chrysler Drive

Dana models are sometimes referred to as: Chrysler Drive 90, Stewart & Stephanson, Diesel Drive, Perkins Stern-Powr, Sea Glide, Aqua Flite

/?......ok guys time to stir up some comments angel"

they were a good drive in thei

they were a good drive in their day. that day was long ago. do some research on parts availability.

"Angel:

There's an old

"Angel:

There's an old saying:

"You can paint an old dried out pile of dog poop gold, but that doesn't make them nuggets.""

Back