Logo

Oil leak near speedo pickup

rox

"Hi,
I have a '97 5.7l Al

"Hi,
I have a '97 5.7l Alpha One. After the last trip out, I noticed lower end gear lube leaking from the area near the speedo pickup fitting. The problem seems to be more pronounced with the outdrive in the trailer position.

The speedo pick up tube seems to be fitting tightly on the pick up fitting. And I can't really tell if the leak is from the shift shaft or the speedo fitting.
The oil reservoir is now empty after 5 days of the boat sitting.

What could be causing the leak? What may be the fix?

Thanks,
Steve"

"Steve.

If the oil leak is

"Steve.

If the oil leak is not coming from somewhere obvious it is time to drain the oil and pressure test the leg. That will show exactly where the leak is coming from, before you end up with a leg full of water.

Cheers
Peter C"

Thanks for the reply.

I jus

Thanks for the reply.

I just took a good look at the leaking area. The leak appears to be coming from the shift shaft bushing area.

Looks like I'll be pulling the lower unit.

Thanks again

"Very likely the lower shift s

"Very likely the lower shift shaft seal. This seems to be a frequent problem on Alpha Gen II's.
The good news is that it is easy to replace once the drive is out of the boat. Also you get a chance to inspect your U joints, gimbal bearing, coupler, and bellows while you are at it. Your U joints won't have grease nipples (they disappeared about 1995), but make sure you grease up your shaft splines liberally before reassembly. Check the gimbal for any hint of roughness, replace if any. Check the U joints for play, there should not be any at all.
Also while you have the upper and lower housings split, you should change out your water pump impeller.
Rod"

"Thanks for the info.
I am gl

"Thanks for the info.
I am glad the repair is easy and common to Gen II out drives. The Clymer manual should help...a little.
I was going to replace the water pump impeller with the shift shaft repair.
I'll check the other stuff, too.
Steve"

"Rod,how did you make out, my

"Rod,how did you make out, my drive is doing the same thing now,, and I looked under and its leaking from the shift seal,"

Back