Logo

HONDA 225 LOWER UNIT NOISE

K

KEVIN KEEL

"I TOOK MY BOAT BACK TO THE FA

"I TOOK MY BOAT BACK TO THE FACTORY FOR A HULL REPAIR ABOUT 600 MILES ON THE TRAILER. I LEFT THE DUAL HONDA 225 ENGINES IN NEUTRAL AND THE PROPS WERE SPINNING THE WHOLE TRIP. WHEN I GOT THE BOAT BACK HOME I RAN THE MOTORS AND NOTICED A CHATTERING/ KNOCKING SOUND IN BOTH LOWER UNITS, THE SAME SOUND. ANY IDEAS IF THAT COULD OF DAMAGED MY LOWER UNITS? OR WHAT THE CHATTERING SOUND COULD BE? IT ONLY CHATTERS WHILE IN GEAR AT LOW RPMS."

"I CHECKED THE LUBE, LOOKS NEW

"I CHECKED THE LUBE, LOOKS NEW. I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO TAKE IT IN TO SERVICE."

My 2003 BF225 has started doin

My 2003 BF225 has started doing the same thing. The boat has not been in the water in a while but the last two times I ran it on the trailer the lower unit rattles and knocks when it is in gear and the prop spins at low speed. It is quiet in neutral. I don't remember that happening before. It has not been in the water since the last service.

need to adjust shift shaft or

need to adjust shift shaft or shift cable ?? No doesn't seem to be the shift adjustment. I disconnected the cable at the engine and tried different positions.

Yes it shifts fine without the

Yes it shifts fine without the cable and just pushing the lever back and forth. It seems that the noise is a little louder if the lever is pushed further after the prop is engaged but that is where it goes with the cable. Also my output shaft end play is around .020" and I believe it should be .009" to .012". Don't know if it matters.

Back