Logo

1986 25 Starter Removal

J

John Z

"Hey folks, was wondering if a

"Hey folks, was wondering if anyone had any instructions on how to remove the starter from an '86 Mercruiser 2.5.

Thanks,
John Z"

"disconnect battery cable at b

"disconnect battery cable at batt. two bolts at bottom, aft. should have bracket top fwd. to block."

"I have a couple of questions

"I have a couple of questions about this process, and hope someone can assist:

1. I can find the one bolt at the back quite easily. The second (inside one) is the issue. I can see one, long-headed bolt (the head on the thing appears to be about 2.5 inches long, all hexagonal, presumeably to get a wrench on) and I can feel a bolt much further inside, squeezed up against the oil pan. This one against the oil pan seems impossible to access - can't get a socket on it (not enough space) and no chance for a wrench in there. So is it this other, long-headed bolt? I'm a bit confused with this, though, as it is 14mm (not 9/16, like the rest of them) although it does seem like it would be easy to get a box end wrench on there.

2. With respect to the front bracket, it looks like I'll have to take the fuel pump assembly off. The bolt attaching the front bracket of the starter to the block backs out into the fuel pump. I assume that this is the bolt that must come off (as opposed to the nut that attaches the bracket to the starter).

Anxiously awaiting replies...!
Thanks!
John Z"

I believe you want the long he

I believe you want the long headed bolt and remove the nut on the support stud and then just loosen the stud to remove the starter.

Back