Logo

Help stripped Bell Housing bolt

"Has anybody got any good idea

"Has anybody got any good ideas for removing a bell housing bolt that is stripped out and I assume frozen? This is a twin engine Alpha 1 and all of the other three bolts came out with no problem. Of course, this is the last one. The special bell housing tool just spins freely in the hole so there aren't any edges left to grab onto.

Is there some kind of "easy-out" for a bolt like this? I thought about drilling it out, but with a bolt that size, I'm not sure if I could actually drill the whole head off. And besides, I'm not sure how I could get the rest of the bolt out of the bell housing after I got the head off.

I need to remove the bell housing to replace the trim/tilt switch/senders. There is also a leak into the boat on this side and I suspect that the drive shaft bellows is leaking given the amount of crud built up around the shift cable. I could probably fix the leak without removing the bell housing, but I would like to replace the trim components.

Any suggestions would be appreciated."

"1. take the drive off.
2. is

"1. take the drive off.
2. is it the pivot pin, or the spline tool that's stripped.
3.bell housing needs to come off to replace bellows. makes the sender replacement MUCH easier.
4. large easy-outs are available. use heat to remove. red (permanent) loc-tite installed at factory. needs heat to release. LOTS of heat."

"It may very well be the splin

"It may very well be the spline tool. I was looking at it and it looks a little worse for wear. I ordered a couple more just in case. When I get the new tool, I plan to use a torch to heat it up, but I'm pretty sure this is not a factory installation. The Pin on the other side of the bell housing was the kind with the grease ring. On the other drive, the pins were the old style without the ring.

I already replaced the sender/switch on the other outdrive. I can't see any other way to do this other than remove the bell housing. I need to pull this side apart anyway since I am stripping and repainting it. I also need to figure out where my leak is, but since there was water in the drive shaft bellows, I suspect that it was the culprit. Funny, this side had the outdrive gasket glued to the bell housing and stearndrive. Obviously, this side has been "repaired" while the other side may have actually be original."

"the loc-tite is on the thread

"the loc-tite is on the threads. put the heat on the bell housing. have a good look at the shift cable bellows too for your leak. no sealer is required on the gasket. it has a printed seal. also check your shift shaft seal for leaks. this will normally not get into bellows, due to the large rubber ring, but will ruin the shift cable. good luck. S."

"If this is an Allen bolt, sim

"If this is an Allen bolt, simply drill the head off. With the part removed, grab the shank with Vice Grips and remoe the remains.

Jeff"

"Jeff, I think Tim is talking

"Jeff, I think Tim is talking about the hinge pin. if he drills it, there is no shank to grab."

Back