Logo

Junk in fuel line

pdcjd13

"Hi,

I have a 1989 Invader

"Hi,

I have a 1989 Invader with a 4.3. I am having a hard time fixing a problem with junk ending up in the small filter in my carb. I run my boat for about thirty minutes and it clogs up. I thought it might be the gas tank but I have already pulled and cleaned it out. It had a small leak and i had to patch. I installed a water fuel separator at the same time. I thought this would shurley fix my problem. Well I was wrong. Ran the boat for about thirty forty minutes and guess what. That damm little filter clogged up again. I just found out that the boat has a filter in the fuel pump. Wow who would have thought of that? No me. I have worked on lots of cars but not many boats. Boy was I surprised. Well any way I thought it might be the problem. When I took it apart it had a stone filter. I replaced it with the paper replacement. There was a little trash in there but I really am not sure that was the problem. The junk that gets in the little filter looks a little like sand. That's what I thought it was but now I don't really know. I got some out of it and ran it through my fingers and it didn't feel like sand to me. Is there any thing in the fuel pump that can break down to produce this stuff. I am at my Witt's end with this. I keep having to clean out that little filter. Its no fun when you start to pull your boat apart in the middle of the lake. If any of you guys have a idea let me know. I will be going out to the lake this weekend to see if i fixed it with the new fuel pump filter. If not I will be the one going 5mph because the damm filter is clogged again. Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

David Fisher"

"David:

Your post bropught

"David:

Your post bropught back memories--BAD memories! My RV did this to me as well after I bought some gas in *~*%!# New Jersey. In my case, the silty crud was a light tan--and it would go right through the gas filters like they weren't there. I ended up putting THREE gas filters in series (AFTER the electric pump) and eventually draining the fuel tank.

I assume you are relying on that tiny, crappy little filter inthe carb body? That should be your filter of last resort since it's so easy to plug. I'd install the biggest in-line METAL can filter I could get before the carb (and AFTER the fuel pump) and change them until the problem goes away. NAPA sells a nice in-line for both 5/16 and 3/8 fuel lines. Be sure to use marine hoses, with double clamps, to hold them in place. It takes just 5 minutes and a nut driver to change 'em out!

Jeff

PS: We are stuck with gasahol here on hte CHessie and need to change filters more often."

"David and F. Jeff:

I had t

"David and F. Jeff:

I had the same crud in my 87 4.3L. It kept showing up time and again. I found the granules were actually coming from the original fuel pump. I changed the pump and the debris stopped. I disassembled the old pump and found it was full of the granules and the diaphragm leak vent line that goes to the top of the carb was plugged with them. I can only assume they are granules from dried, old fuel that had become varnish. I was 600 miles from home in upper Michigan and found a Carter marine pump at a NAPA parts store."

"Thanks for the input Guy. Tha

"Thanks for the input Guy. That sounds like the problem that I am having. I just replaced the fuel pump filter last week. I have not been able to take her out yet. I am going to Saturday or Sunday if the weather gets better. If it clogs up again I think I will be changing out the fuel pump itself. That is pretty much the only thing left to do. I have changed and cleaned every thing else. I do not think it is the gas. I only get gas form the Kroger store down the street from my house. That is where I get all my gas and I have never had any problems with any other vehicles. Wish me luck on the while I navigate possible the worst Lake In Texas Lake Conroe. It has got to be one of the roughest lakes out there. It is white capping just about every time I take the boat out.

Thanks again,

David"

Back