Logo

2003 F200 four stroke cutting out when trimed up a bit

mvitiello

"I just took a used boat for a

"I just took a used boat for a sea trial – thinking of purchasing it. The twin F200 four stokes appear to run well except for the following: When running at high speeds (4000 RPM and WOT) one or both of the motors appear to cut out for a second and then cut back in when I trim the motors up a bit. The cut out, as you would expect, causes 1) the boat quickly slow for a second before going back to normal running and, 2) if you are looking at the outboard, you will see it jerk sharply up a bit. It only happens I trimmed the engines up while running and, although it’s all very noticeable, it only happens for a second before the engines return to normal operation. This happens when I used the “master” trim switch to trim both engines (although I cannot confirm if it happened to one or both motors) and it also happened when I used the individual trim switch to trim the port motor up a bit. Honestly, I cannot recall if I tried the individual switch on the starboard motor. It does NOT happen the moment you touch the switch and if you carefully hit the switch trim switch once or twice you can trim the motor up a little bit no problem. However, after about the third 1-second push on the trim switch it happens. It’s not cavatation and, in my opinion, the engine is not trimmed up much at all (well within operating range) before it happens. I do not hear any strange engine noises when it happens except for the sound of a quick click and I am not even sure I hear the engine rpm drop and shoot back up but the motors are very quiet. The engines are in the last year or two of the extended warrantee period. I am new on this forum and could not find any old posts regarding any similar problem so any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
[email protected]"

"Perfect advice. I never got

"Perfect advice. I never got a chance to say thanks but I purchased this boat and eventually got around to replacing the old, small batteries with new big batteries and also finally getting around to cleaning the connections. Problem solved. Happy boater. Thanks."

Back