Logo

Celebrity 200 Bow Rider 1991 350 Magnum

gkm24

Regular Contributor
"I recently bought the above m

"I recently bought the above mentioned boat and need a bit of info. Does anyone know roughly how much this boat would weigh? I'm thinking about 3000Lbs 1500Kgs. The other thing is that when it runs, and it runs so smooth and quiet, you can just make out a bearing noise which changes noise in pitch when the steering is turned. You can turn it to an angle where the noise almost dissappears. It is coming from the area where the drive from the engine goes through the transom. It's not a growling noise yet but I just know its a bearing. Do you think it's the U/J on the top of the drive leg and am I correct in thinking that it needs to be removed to grease?
Many Thanks, Graham."

"Weight: check the boat out o

"Weight: check the boat out on NADA boat pricing

Noise: U-Joints

OD: must be removerd to lube them; might as well replace them while you are there and inspect and replace if needed the bellows, water inlet hose and service the gimbal bearing."

"Could be the gimbal bearing.

"Could be the gimbal bearing. Try lubing it with marine grease per the manual. There is a grease nipple on the right hand side of the transom assembly close to the transom. If the noise goes away, that's it. When you lay it up for the season, that would be a good time to get the bearing changed out.
Rod"

Thanks for the help. Boat weig

Thanks for the help. Boat weight comes out at 2875Lbs. I did grease the right nipple on the outdrive which made it a bit quieter but will change it over the winter.

graham - the ujoints will make

graham - the ujoints will make noise normally if you are listening with the drive in the up or trailered position. just clarifying. Also - ujoint noise will get louder before failing. So you probably have time. You don't want it to fail though.

I have only run the engine in

I have only run the engine in the down position or trimmed position but not in the trailered position to be kind to the UJ. I will relube the bearing while it is running and connected to the water via the grease nipple again. Does the UJ have grease nipples on it or is it sealed. (I know I have to remove the drive to get to the UJ)

Your model year most likely ha

Your model year most likely has zerk fittings for grease. Newer models are sealed so they can't be lubed.

Back