Logo

Engine will not turn over

twingle

"I have a 1980 31' Chris E

"I have a 1980 31' Chris Engines were rebuilt in 2001. The starboard engine currently will not turn over. A few weeks ago when I went to start the engine all I got was the feared and dreaded clicking sound. The batteries are brand new and were fully charged. Setting the battery selection switch appropriately I was able to start the port engine using the settings 1, 2 and all. I replaced the starter and cleaned all the connections. Problem solved and life was good again. While replacing the raw water pump yesterday, I bumped the started a few times to get the bolts in a more convenient location for removal. After a few bumps of the starter I’m back to just clicks. The starter will not turn the motor again. Once again batteries are fully charged. The engine has a wiring harness with a quick disconnect and everything appears tight. Any thoughts on where to go from here?"

Remove ground connection and c

Remove ground connection and clean... it could have corrosion behind the connector and causing the problem... also... Clean the terminal connectors where the cable attaches and also where it connects to the battery.
I had the same problem last month with my ski boat.

OG

And we all know what's gon

And we all know what's gonna happen: You're gonna get a bath from water shooting out the plug holes. Time for a new exhaust manifold and possibly a riser too.

Jeff

PS: Just went through this on mine.

Back