Logo

What causes this

D

Dave Proctor

"I have twin 454 Mercruisers o

"I have twin 454 Mercruisers on my 1990 Sea Ray 310 Sundancer. Last week while excellerating, my port engine (which was running and sounding fine) suddenly stalled and would not restart. The circuit breaker on the dashboard subsequently tripped which leaves me to believe that this is strictly an electrical problem. where should i start as far as diagnosing this problem. i don't know what would cause the breaker to trip. PLEASE HELP!!!"

which breaker tripped? batter

which breaker tripped? battery terminals clean and tight? Smell the alternator to see if it burned. Reset breaker and check the main engine breaker; push to reset and see if engine will start. Observe alternator gauge amps or voltage readings.

thanx for the response guy g.

thanx for the response guy g.
it is the ignition circuit breaker which trips. i have already checked the battery connections at the batter side. i will check the alternator at my earliest opportunity. unfortunately i only get to the boat on weekends. is it possible that the ditributor/points/wires play a part here? i don't thind they would cause the ignition breaker to trip. any other thoughts are appreciated.
thanx again - dave

"Dave:

I believe your engin

"Dave:

I believe your engine has a solid state Thunderbolt Ignition. Check the condition of the components under the distributer cap and also look for burned wires.

The ignition amplifier may have failed. Ignition key off; disconnect the amplifier plug and reset the breaker. Key on; breaker did not trip? Key off; plug in amplifier. Key on; breaker trip? Yes? Shorted wires from chafing, need a new amplifier or other ignition component problem."

Back