Logo

1973 ford merc being funny

C

cape cod

"Hey guys, great site lots of

"Hey guys, great site lots of educated info!!I have a question, 1973 ford 302 mercruiser,engine starts every turn of the key,this morning she started and ran just long enough to get off the moring andthen stalled?Never has this happened,I tried to restart and it would only turn over and over.#1 battery started clicking over and over like it was dead so I switched to both Bat's and the engine would turn over and over again, then I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again and she started with big black smoke and rough ideling, now the #1 Battery still clicks over fast like it is dead but it is brand new.I ran for most of day the#1 once the engine started and it is still not turning the starter over(Brand new 1000 cranking Batteries) Could this be a bad ground or connection?? And why would the engine be so stubourn all of a sudden,could it be a stuck automatic choke?Thanks for any input and sorry for the quick and uninformed question,I'm on a laptop!"

"Sounds a lot like a weak coil

"Sounds a lot like a weak coil. I would replace the condenser first for good measure. When replacing the coil, be sure to replace with a proper coil. Some require external ballast and some do not. If the ignition key switch is original or very old I would replace it with a new one. When replacing switch, be sure that the drain hole in the new switch is pointed down."

seniliyy??? No!! Just a fair q

seniliyy??? No!! Just a fair question!!!You know i've worked on large diesels all my life and just asking a simple question about a small engine and would like a civilized remark not a wise ass respose!!!!Thank You!!!

"sorry guy. does sound like ba

"sorry guy. does sound like bad connect. the smoke seems like flooding. could be choke, or from extra fuel pumped in when it would not start? was not reffering to you, but age of engine."

""Brand new 1000 cranking

""Brand new 1000 cranking Batteries".

Those batteries probably don't have very many "reserve capacity minutes" which is why it started to "click" which means it ran out of the "1000 CCAs". A V-8 engine battery needs no more than 550 to 650 CCAs but alot of "reserve capacity minutes" are useful so it can continue to crank and still be used for accessories.

What you have are two 1,000 CCA batteries that are short on amperage in minutes but big on the short burst of "1,000 CCAs"--it's a selling point. You will find that they will not last very long for accessory use with the engine off and their useful life may be 30 days or 1-2 years.

Battery Glossary

CCA (cold cranking amperes):
The CCA rating refers to the number of amperes a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temperature of zero degrees Fahrenheit until the battery voltage drops to 1.20 volts per cell, or 7.20 volts for a 12-volt battery.

A battery that carries a rating of 1,000 CCA, meaning that the battery will provide 1,000 amps for 30 seconds at zero degrees F before the voltage would drop to 7.20 volts. (NOT A LONG TIME)

MCA (marine cranking amperes):
The MCA rating of a battery is very similar to the CCA rating; the only difference is that while the CCA is measured at a temperature of zero degrees, the MCA is measured at 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C.

PMCA (pulse marine cranking amperes):
The PMCA rating refers to the short-duration (typically about 3 seconds) cranking amp rating of the battery at 32 degrees F.

Reserve capacity:
The number of minutes that a battery can support a 25-ampere load at 80 degrees F until its terminal voltage drops to 1.75 volts per cell or 10.50 volts for a 12-volt battery. Thus a battery rated @ 200 minutes "reserve capacity" can be discharged at 25 amps for 200 minutes at 80 degrees F before voltage drops to 10.75 volts.

Next time the engine floods, give it full throttle while cranking it to clear out the excess fuel until it sputters then reduce the throttle until it starts. DO NOT PUMP THE THROTTLE; YOU'LL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE."

"another thought re: starter.

"another thought re: starter. ford starters pull a lot of amps. arco now makes a gear reduction model that take less. it's not in the catalog yet, but call them if you're interested. phone number is on the website. www.arcomarine.com"

"Thanks for the returns!I isol

"Thanks for the returns!I isolated the problem down to a stuck choke,it did it again today and I sprayed it with card and choke cleaner and now starts first turn again.Ran the boat allday and both batteries are charged and reading good on the multimeter. Thanks for the help and happy boating!(Yes it maybe senility for the old girl!)"

"I got your identical set up.

"I got your identical set up. Had that same problem. I turned out to be a broken automatic choke. It would allow the choke to close while running. But it would only happen random. Took the side cover off the choke to find the end of "spring" broken off. Is/was not easy to get replacement part so I repositoned the sprint to force the choke open at all times. With no operating choke, it starts with no problem."

Back