Logo

1995 Mercruiser 50 hesitates at takeoff under load

godukies

"I have a 1995 Mercruiser 5.0

"I have a 1995 Mercruiser 5.0 with a TB Ignition. I recently replaced the igniiton coil which solved my problem of stalling and not restarting until the engine completely cooled. Now when trying to pull a skier out of the water, the engine hesitates at take off. It really struggled to get the heavier skiers out of the water. Once the skier is up, it runs fine. Without a skier, it is not nearly as noticable. Also, with 2-3 people in the boat, we are only hitting a top speed of 40 mph. Any suggestions? (Thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot the coil problem.)"

"Go thru the basics; plugs, fu

"Go thru the basics; plugs, fuel filters, timing reset, flame arrester cleaning, carb idle and mixture adjs.

Does the engine respond immediately to a quick throttle increase or hesitate a second or two? If it hesitates even the slightest after the basics are performed, change the accellerator pump. You can check the pump output with the engine off and preferably cold so you don't get a backfire to the face. While observing the throat of the carb and holding the choke open, have someone give the shifter/throttle in neutral a few quick full throttle pumps. You should see a pair of straight and strong streams of fuel like a squirt gun. If in doubt, replace the accell. pump."

Back