Logo

Yamaha vs Mercury

• Thread starter Drew Schneiderbauer
  • Start date
D

Drew Schneiderbauer

"Hello, I have been looking fo

"Hello, I have been looking for a 9.9 hp. two stroke mercury outboard in good condition when I ran accross a 9.9 hp. Yamaha two stroke (late nineties). Being from the mid west we don't see too many of these. How do these compare? I looks like the water pump is hard to service from previous posts but that is all I have found. Any opinions would be of help. Thanks in advance"

"Drew, between 1986 and at lea

"Drew, between 1986 and at least early 1994, all the Merc 9.9's were 12.8 cu.in. Yami's (just with Merc ignitions). In late 94 they switched to the 16 cu.in block (shared with the 15 horse).

And both motors (merc or yami) are very easy to look after, run forever and are super reliable..."

"Thanks both of you for the ed

"Thanks both of you for the education. I was at the marina parts store this morning and found out tohatsu makes merc. small four strokes and they closed Fondulac and make the large outboards in China. So sad, haven't seen any reduction in price. 4 strokes too heavy for my inflatible. Have a nice weekend !!!!!!!"

"Yes Drew, the newer ones anyh

"Yes Drew, the newer ones anyhow. When Merc's deal with Yamaha ended they entered into a deal with Nissan (at least for the smaller outboards).

Nissan is also Tohatsu. But because Merc buys in "bulk" - for the most part the Merc is still most economical version, with Tohat's in the middle and Nissan on the high end...

Go with the Yami or a Yami built Merc - you will still have it running long after the production moves from China to the next emerging market..."

The Yamaha water pump is very

The Yamaha water pump is very easy to service if you know what you are doing and can find the linkage on the back of the motor that you simply undo 1 bolt. I have a Yamaha 8 HP and I love it

Back