Logo

Majorly stumped

holinwtr

Regular Contributor
"I've got a merc 165 L6.

"I've got a merc 165 L6. You all may remember my alternator troubles from last week. We decided the problem had to be my alternator since I was only getting 11.4 volts at the alternator with the engine running. So, I bought a new alternator from this site, and I'm having the same problem. I charged up the battery yesterday and I've got a full 12.5 volts at the battery. With the boat running I've got 12.5 volts at the alternator. Is there a regulator on the alternator that shuts it down when the battery is full? Or should it always be reading 14 volts?"

"i can only tell you from my e

"i can only tell you from my experience. There are really only three "appliances" in the charge circuit. Alternator, voltage regulator and battery. On most cars, the voltage regulator is inside the alternator as one unit. Not sure about your alternator but would suspect the regulator is internal. You also might remove it and take it to your local auto parts store (advanced auto, autozone) where they will test the unit for you for free. Don't need to tell them it is marine.

You might not have it wired correctly, btw. Make sure you have the field wires correct, and that you have a good ground. Also make sure the engine is well grounded to the battery etc.

my thoughts.
Hays"

Back