Logo

MD6B water in oil

tunesmith

"This is anupdate of my previo

"This is anupdate of my previous post. I had overheated my engine end of last season and found water in the oil. I finally was able to to remove the head to replace the head gasket. There was a little rust around the rocker arm assembly but the cylinder walls look fine. The gasket appears to be OK although I will now of course replace it, no warping of the head and as far as I can see there are no cracks in the block. I am not sure what caused water to get into the oil, other than the possibility of back siphoning thru the exhaust. This is the second time I have found water in the oil. Changed the oil and filters several times the first time it happened. Anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I hav read about installing an a anti-siphone valve in the exhaust but can't find a store that has one. Boaters World sells a "vented loop pipe" but I have read you should also install the anti-siphon (check valve.) Any suggestions appreciated."

"Remove water pump and check s

"Remove water pump and check seals on shaft. If water seal fails and has moved to cover"weep" hole on pump body, water will be forced past oil seal into crankcase."

"I just read the part descript

"I just read the part description at boaters world. It's made by forespar and it does state there is a simple valve system in the part. It states it is to prevent siphoning from tank to tank. There is also another type by Groco that can been seen here (http://www.boatersworld.com/product/356220079msk.htm). Has anyone ever used one of these or do you use a different setup?
Thanks"

"Well, replacing the head gask

"Well, replacing the head gasket was not the answer as I took it out for a trial run and came back to find water in the oil again! I will try checking out the waterpump seal as Dick suggested but if that does not do it what are the other possibilites. It seems like it must be a cracked block altough I do not see any visible signs of that. Any suggestions?"

Back