Logo

God awful noise

blueflu

"The last few times when cruis

"The last few times when cruising at about 3100 rpm's I've been hearing and increasing noise coming from my starboard engine. I initially attributed it to a vibration but it worsened. I attempted to locate it but could not and other than it overheating and temp coming back down at idle the first time I heard it, everything was ok idle temp,oil,volts. Then I heard a noise that really had me convinced I seized the engine. Again temp spiked so I shut down. After a few minutes I started the engine, temp and sound was OK. Got up to 3100 and it happened again. It does not happen below this rpm. Rode home slow and temp was OK. I checked the raw water pump and found the belt to be pretty loose and inside it a half of a vane was gone so I backflushed and found it and replaced the pump as it was the old 2 peice metal/plastic style but also found the mounting bracket cracked on the ring where the pump mounts. I welded it back solid. My question is could the above symptoms have caused a noise like an engine seizing. I am concerned the noise was the trans but it felt ok temperature wise and oil is OK. This all started after an oil change so it has me a little freaked out. I have not put the pump back on or test rode it yet. Could the noise have been the pump being seized and out of square from the cracked mount and loose belt. This sounds like a final exam on a marine mechanics course. Any suggestions."

Tested it today. Same noise. I

Tested it today. Same noise. It has to be the enging circulating pump. Temp spiked and all the other gauges are fine. It now sounds like high pitched metal grinding but it runs perfect without noise under 3000. Back into the bilge. Thanks.

Disconnect the drive belt and

Disconnect the drive belt and try to turn it by hand. It will "feel" like it has bad bearings or run it w/o the belt and WITH a hose and see if it stops the noise.

Back