Logo

Gabriel Help BW C72 No Fwd or Reverse

R

Randy Wilhite

" I replaced a pair of Chrysle

" I replaced a pair of Chrysler M400's with M-440's. I kept my BW C-72 1:1 gears as they had been working perfectly for ten years. Drained transmissions, attached to new motors keeping correct rotations for correct engines, installed new braided stainless cooling lines and fluid coolers, then installed everything into the boat.

Filled gearcases with Dexron III fluid (same thing they had been running on older engines) then started engines and brought up to operating temp. Shifted into fwd for 30 secods with engines running at 800 rpm. Shifted into neutral, then reverse, shut down engines and topped off trans fluid (about six extra ounces needed). Restarted engines and shifted into fwd, with no result. After about ten minutes of idling at 1,000 rpm, one gearbox would slowly turn propshaft but only in fwd, not in reverse. Other gearbox will not turn propshaft in either fwd or reverse. I can easily turn both prop shafts by hand, so I know they are not binding the gearboxes.

Is there a trick to "priming" these transmissions after they were so completely drained of fluid during the engine change-out? The engines and gearboxes sit level in the boat and the transmission fluid coolers are even with the bottom of the gearboxes even though the hoses arch about five inches above the coolers.

When I remove the trans dipsticks and look into the case with the engines running, I can see the trans fluid being pumped around very vigorously. Any suggestions? "

Back