Logo

1968 Evinrude 100s

feral

G'day

I am havin a bit

G'day

I am havin a bit of electrical trouble with a 1968 Evinrude 100s Starflite i picked up and was wonderin if anyone has had any experience with these and could point me in the right direction.
first prob is the connection that joins the engine loom to the boat loom was corroded ( broken wires) so i started joining em up but found that 1 wire (thick brown one) arcs when i try to join it.
next is no spark .It is electronic ignition so i'm guessing that it is the black box on the rear of the motor as there is power in but none out. and no power at the coil

I tried to find a workshop manual for it but the only one was $82 plus postage and i couldn't justify that just for the wiring diagram.

Also.... (This will probably make me sound real stupid to some of u people lol) it is positive earth... is that normal?

just a nudge in the general direction would be awesome and very very appreciated Cheers very much

"Feral... When you day "Po

"Feral... When you day "Positive Earth", I assume that you are saying that the ground connection is positive (+) instead of negative (-). If so, you have a reverse polarity problem at some point as the ground must absolutely be negative (-).

Reverse polarity will destroy the charging rectifier for sure, and possibly other components.

The 1968 models, possibly a couple other years, had inferior insulation covering the wiring. After a period of time, it simply cracked and fell off. Replacing all that is a real chore.

You might find a manual on this site at:

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/

If you find that you need a powerpack (black box) for that model, I may have one left in stock that I would discount (new improved universal model).

Your pack can be tested as follows:

(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)
Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)
(J. Reeves)

Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point.

Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire).

Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed.

Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

I need to find the year of a

I need to find the year of a 90 HP Mariner #B301567 anyone know if I can find this info on line?

Rick

" Rick,
You should have start

" Rick,
You should have started a "new" converstion for this question so it wouldn't get lost below another topic.
If that is a USA serial number and it is a 3 cylinder 90HP Mariner then I beleive it is a 1988 model year.
Regards, Andrew "

" 1969 100 HP Evenrude Model #

" 1969 100 HP Evenrude Model #100883B
I am trying to find the wiring diagram of this motor.If anyone could help or point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.
I have no spark at the plugs,It might be powerpack or possibly coil,really I just dont know.
Or if anyone had a simple procedure to troubleshoot this motor to find problem.
I am mechanical,but this 1 looks like a jewel.
Any input would possibly help,Thanks Again!!! "

Back