Logo

Trim tab boat pulls

markchiz

Contributing Member
"2007 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one

"2007 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one.

I have my trim tab off of my drive, since it wouldnt fit with the new prop I have installed. so I'm in the process of getting a newer one with a smaller fin. anyways...when i'm cruising along, I have to keep the when cranked about 1/4 - 1/2 turn to the right to keep it goign straight. if I let go of the wheel it will give a strong pull to the left.
prop is RH rotation. (14.3 x 21)
with the old prop (14.25 x 21) and the trim adjusted nicely i could let go of the wheel going about 30mph, walk to the front of my boat and not worry about the boat pulling to any side. (i didnt try this, just giving you an idea of how well aligned it was).
now...i guess what my question is. is having my trim tab removed causing this pull to the left?
is that common? RH rotation, pulling to the left?
to correct this with a new tab, which direction would I angle it? I have the answer in my head but i am having a tough time describing which way I would angle it. looking straight down on it (standing on the swim platform, facing the sterndrive) it would be pointed in approximately the 11 o'clock position...correct? or wrong?
I want my perfect alignment back!"

"Mark
You already know the an

"Mark
You already know the answer to your question, you tell us that the setup was great before you removed the trim tab anode and now it is crap.

Fit up your new trim anode in a similar position and see how it behaves then. You may have to tweak it a little more seen the surface area of the trim tab will be smaller.

Cheers
Peter C"

"does that sound right though?

"does that sound right though? since it pulls to the left, I adjust the tab as if it were a rudder, in the 11 oclock position?
....for some reason i'm thinking it was pointed in the 1 oclock position before...

what do you guys have your pointed at for a RH rotation drive?

I'll fiddle around with it"

"To make the boat pull more to

"To make the boat pull more to the right, turn the trim tab to the left, looking at it from the rear.
And yes, a RH drive will almost always cause a tendency to steer left.
You can take a hacksaw and trim your old tab down at the front to gain more prop clearance. There is nothing magic or high tech about a trim tab. You should file a bevel on the new leading edge like the old one was, to reduce drag and turbulence.
Rod"

Back