Logo

Fitting vacuum guage

rayb

"I was reading a post yesterda

"I was reading a post yesterday and now I can't find it, very frustrating when you want to make a comment. I don't even remember if it was in the Mercruiser section of the board. Anyway, one of the senior members described how he ground down the square drive end of his half inch drive socket bar to remove a plug from the inlet manifold located behind the carb.
This plug has a 5/16 inch, (8mm) square socket hole in the plug. Finally I will get to the point. I fitted a permanent vacuum guage recently and solved the problem of removing this socket by simply taking a carpenters nail punch, inverting it, and the square head slips into that socket perfectly, then just used an adjustable wrench and turned it out sweet as you like, and it has been in there 30 years.
I hope this hint may be useful for others who strike this plug in the future.
Ray."

T'was I Ray. I used a 1&#

T'was I Ray. I used a 1" X 1/2" drive extension. The plug had been there for 20 years and just would not budge until I used a 1/2 drive socket wrench ground down to fit tightly. I may do like you did and install a brass 90 deg. fitting and a permanent vacuum gauge. Thanks. Your idea is much better! Guy

Back