Logo

Hard steering at high speedscavitation

pktaske

"My 1986 2.5L Merc was feling

"My 1986 2.5L Merc was feling a bit fiesty last outing and was giving me ~4750 rpms. No clacking, no weird noises as in my previous post; engine ran real smooth. Anyway, when I pushed it to anything past 4200-4300, the boat would favour port and took more than a little effort to persuade her starboard. When I would nudge her slightly further into the turn (we're still not talking anything more than a low turn angle), I would loose push power (not RPMS) and what sounded like a cavitating or ventilating prop. I would then have to back way off to get her to bite again. What do you think this is? Does my prop need replacing? It's a bit rough around the edges (small cracks, gouges) but nothing that appears significant to my untrained eyes. thanks..."

""Does my prop need replac

""Does my prop need replacing? It's a bit rough around the edges (small cracks, gouges)"

Get the prop reconditioned since the prop is not slicing thru the water. It is acting more like a a blender with the cuts and cracks which cause the cavitation."

Back