Logo

Starter problem

dawgs

Regular Contributor
ok my problem was the starter

ok my problem was the starter sounded like it was spinning but not engaging...well i removed the starter and it was a wreck...teeth were broken off the starter...the shaft was bent.....it was a mess....now you have to understand the starter was only 1 month old...when i replaced the old starter it was twice the size of the starter that blew up....we checked and double checked it but its the correct starter...just a newer model and it replaces the old model.....i will be bringing it back tomorrow....but my question is how could something like this happen? what would cause it?

sounds like a possible timeing

sounds like a possible timeing issue.. if they kick back while starting they will bust things all up.. starting fluid will do it too.. but most dont use it..

no i didnt....the starter that

no i didnt....the starter that broke...the whole nose piece cracked off the unit

SG:

Take your engine serial

SG:

Take your engine serial number and go to Mercruiser's parts site to get the correct starter by part number. The new type starter may match up by part number but that doesn't mean that it will work on an older designed engine.

I used to work at an industrial electric motor remanufacturing plant that also sold new motors as replacements for those that wanted a motor today. Many times they would bring it back saying it just won't do the job of the old and we would reman. their old one for them.

Stick to what worked.

i was told that this starter i

i was told that this starter is the "new" replacement for the older one.....i worked great for a while...it turned over awesome...i acted up once....unfortunately it cracked when it did act up...besides it was 100 times easier to put in the smaller one...lol......what would cause it to break like that?

some of the newer starters com

some of the newer starters come with a shim kit if the starter is too long or too short you can get these results.. also if there are too many or too less teeth same deal..

"I have a similar problem, I h

"I have a similar problem, I have a 2000 Mercruiser 3.0, Monday while trying to take the boat out, it started then died. not uncommon. then all would get was a click when turning the key. This has happened in the past so I took the battery cables off cleaned all the connections and she fired right up.

this time still just a click. I tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver and it sounds like it spinning really fast but not engaging. did this with the key in the on position. what should be my next attempt to get working? I would hate to have to have a mechanic come out for something really simple"

Back